Thursday, January 6, 2011

Back to Basics - Making Homemade Applesauce


I love applesauce.
I eat it straight up, used in place of oil in cake and bread recipes, and love to add spices and berries for a light dessert.
Recently I bought a bargain bag of apples from my local grocery store. Some were beautiful and perfectly ripe ready to be eaten as is. Others were a little ugly and a little brused. I took the latter and decided to make some applesauce. It's oh so simple to make and can be made in small batches or large.

Simple Homemade Applesauce: (raw/uncooked)
*3 washed, cored, and chopped apples (cut in to roughly 1 inch segments)
*1/3 cup water
*2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
*1 pitted date *optional* (only if you like your applesauce sweeter)

Place all ingredients in to a blender and process till smooth. Add more water a little at a time if needed to get the blender to move smoothly.

I prefer not to use the date to sweeten but some people really like that sweeter flavor so go nuts and add dates to fit your taste.

2 comments:

  1. I find your recipe rather unusual because there is no cooking involved?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often alter my recipes to be as "raw" as possible. I have it in my crazy little head that the more uncooked/unprocessed the healthier. I like to eat fruits and vegetables as uncooked as possible (though do not consider myself a raw foodist).

    ReplyDelete