Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Rainy Days

It's been oh so rainy here lately which means I've been spending a lot of time in doors. It also means my fall/winter garden if flourishing. I recently cleared away my dying tomato plants and found these hidden root vegetables:
Carrot

Golden Beet
There have also been a bunch of mushrooms popping up including these very strange cone shaped mushies. They have what looks like three slimy seeds in the middle. I attempted to look them up but couldn't find anything like them online. Any idea what these are?

Best of all we found where all the worms and slugs have been hiding. The slugs have been ravaging our garden and we were going crazy trying to find their hiding spots. Finally we realized they were hiding under the top bricks in our raised bed walls. Now we go out a couple times a day to collect them, then feed them to the chickens. The chickens have been gorging on slugs lately!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting mushrooms, I have never seen anything like them. I will have to check Dad book next time we are in Willits.

    ReplyDelete