Monday, June 21, 2010

Mango Strawberry Fruit Leather

A few days ago I was at my local grocery store hunting through the "extremely ripe so we are discounting them" section and I found a few good scores: bags of bananas - 39 cents each bag, mangos - 99 cents for a bag of about 10, and strawberries - 29 cents a box. I'll get to the bananas in another post but the mangos and the strawberries were made in to a yummy treat for the gift basket I made for my friend Misty's graduation.

Mango Strawberry Fruit Leather
If the fruit isn't organic make sure you wash very well letting the fruit sit in a bath of water for a while instead of just rinsing it off.
This recipe is incredibly easy and can be made by anyone with a dehydrator.
Quite literally all you do is blend up the flesh of the two (or more) fruits to create a creamy smooth consistency. This can be done in either a blender of food processor.
Spread the mixture on to your dehydrators teflon sheet and dehydrate at 100 degrees (if you want it to be raw) overnight or until it is dry enough to peel off the teflon and flip over. Dehydrate for another hour or two till the fruit leather is done.
If you don't care about the fruit leather being "raw" you can dehydrate at a higher temp and it will be ready sooner.
The fruit leather should look and feel kinda like the fruit roll ups you remember from childhood. Makes a great snack to pack in a lunch, put in your purse for hungry moments during the day, and taking along on hikes.
If you don't have a dehydrator I highly recommend getting one. Like always, I recommend buying second hand. I got mine at a thrift store for about $5. Check your local thrift, yard sales, estate sales, and craigslist.

No comments:

Post a Comment