Sunday, May 13, 2012

Remembering Maui - The Food

The food in Maui was amazing. We were on the lush side of the island so food grew so abundantly. Everyday Dan and I would peek around the land gathering all the newly ripe fruits. Avocados fell off the trees daily & we ate them with vigor. Thimbleberrys, papaya, banana, lilikoi (passion fruit), soursop, pineapple, were all in season on our property while we were there and other fruits were brought to the stand we worked at by the locals. The food was always fresh & it was very easy to eat healthy.

One morning I found a dish in the community fridge containing a strange looking mixture. Another girl on the farm, Ashley, told me it was her breakfast of sprouted buckwheat, chia seeds, banana, & cinnamon. This meal intrigued me because it was so simple & healthy. A combo of foods I would have never thought to put together but would love to try. I was surprised at how sweet it was having only the banana & cinnamon to flavor it.

Since coming home I haven't had any bananas. I don't usually buy them unless they are in the discount (otherwise we would throw these away) section, because I try to buy as locally as possibly and bananas just don't grow well in Northern California. Yesterday though, someone left one at our house so I immediately thought of the chia/buckwheat porridge.  Last night I sprouted the buckwheat and this morning I dined on a memory of Hana, Hi.


Raw Chia Buckwheat Porridge (makes 2 servings)
1/2 cup buckwheat
4 tbsp chia seeds
1 large banana (or 2 small)
healthy sprinkle of cinnamon (to taste)

Cover the buckwheat in water and soak over night. Drain and rinse. Place in bowl and sprinkle with chia seeds. Add just enough water to cover the seeds. Let sit for half an hour. Mash in the banana and add cinnamon to taste. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment