Saturday, January 16, 2010

Handlebars & Homemade Pizza!

Today was a pretty damn good Saturday! Rainy though the evening was, the day was sunny and I was able to check many things off my list of "to do's".

My beau came by bringing word that my new handlebars were ready to be picked up!!! Oh how I've waited for this day. We hopped on our bikes and rode over to REI to pick them up; then headed over to my favorite DIY bike shop "Street Level Cycles" to attach them. Of course the larger curved bars meant I needed to put on longer brake and shifter cables. Luckily Street Level had all the parts I needed used even if it did mean a little bit of digging.
I love my new handlebars (thanks Dan). They make me feel like I'm in a Covergirl commercial. So easy, breezy, and carefree. I still need to mess around with placement a bit but all n all, they are just what I was looking for! Bike mod #2 checked off. Now I just need to get a new seat and I'm all set.

When my bike was finished we headed over to Berkeley Bowl for supplies then home for some HOMEMADE PIZZA! We made a huge sheet pan size pizza topped with all sorts of veggies. Homemade pizza is so easy, economical, healthy and delicious.
Here is a recipe to get you started:

Basic Whole Wheat Pizza Dough:
1 teaspoon of Honey
1 cup very warm tap water
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour

Dissolve the honey in the warm water. Sprinkle in the yeast and let sit for a few minuets till it gets foamy or fuzzy. Mix in the salt and the olive oil. Slowly add in the flour one cup at a time till it starts to leave the sides of the bowl. Pour dough out onto floured counter top and knead adding flour as needed till the dough becomes smooth and non stick (about 10 minuets of kneading). Place dough in an oiled bowl, covered, and let rise till the dough has doubled (about 1 hour).
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
For two small round pizza's cut the dough in half. For one large sheet the way I made it, use the entire ball of dough.
Roll out dough in the desired shape of the pan you are using. The dough will be very elastic and want to spring back every time you push it. Just keep working at it, it will stretch out.

Top pizza with your favorite sauce (tomato or pesto), fresh vegetables (we used onions, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, and olives), and of course CHEESE (we used a mixture of Mozzarella & Provolone but just about any type will work great). Bake for around 16-20 minuets till the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.

2 comments:

  1. Nice wheels! I have what I call a "souped-up cruiser" with nice easy glide handlebars, I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete